"I am stronger than depression and braver than loneliness and nothing will ever exhaust me".
-Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love)

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Vulnerability


I depend on a machine to live.  Without that machine, I will literally just die (eventually).  It's a very odd concept to wrap your head around. I don't tend to do well with feeling vulnerable.  I make myself as big and scary as possible and hope my bark is enough that I don't actually have to back anything up - but I will if I have to.  It's a very vulnerable position to be in a) again, the point of me NEEDING that machine to live and b) being locked up to a machine in your own home unable to move is also a very odd feeling.  Besides the needling not going well yesterday, it was very eye opening how vulnerable I felt sitting there.  In any emergency I would have to stop my machine, ideally give my blood back take my needles out and then I could run away from whatever (I watch a lot of TV these days...maybe not a good idea).  I know I'm safe and it helps having Harlow here for back up (don't laugh at that statement if you haven't met her - she has my back, I don't doubt it for a second) but it's still a very hard concept for me to come to terms with.  I don't like relying on anything, I very much like being able to do things myself.

Other than that, yesterday was a very good learning curve.  I got to see how much set up at home worked and what needed to change.  I didn't have enough lighting to really get a good look at my fistula for the needling (thanks to a wonderful client/friend that isn't a problem anymore with my fancy new lamp), and I'm not able to recline on the couch (if my blood pressure were to drop, I need to be able to tip back with my feet up) so we played around with that and a few other things to try and make my life easier.  We have a game play for the next 3 treatments to make sure I have enough support available if I need it.  The nursing staff has been AMAZING and has truly gone above and beyond to help me get home and stay safe.

3 comments:

  1. Sending positive energy your way❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can do anything to help, please let me know

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wrist Digital Blood Pressure Monitor from Santamedical is one of the clinically proven technology products. Physicians in hospitals use them all over the world. The product is portable, simple-to-use, and compact in design. The monitor has a wrist cuff having advanced technology and it inflates automatically to the most appropriate levels and the measurement time is also reduced.

    ReplyDelete