"I am stronger than depression and braver than loneliness and nothing will ever exhaust me".
-Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love)

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

What I'm Doing to Help Myself


If you have been following along on my social media accounts, you will know that on November 5th I received my third kidney transplant.  It's been such a crazy process and its been easier to send quick updates on instagram, twitter and facebook vs. writing a blog post.

It's been a tough process.  First, my kidney was a little sleepy, which lead to a longer hospital stay.  This surgery was significantly more challenging for the surgeon to find a spot for this kidney.  They ended up slicing me right down the middle, moving my bowel over to slide the kidney in.  They didn't have a lot to attach the kidney to so they actually took fat from my donor to essentially glue my kidney in place.  This means I will have a longer recovery period because my kidney isn't exactly stabilized.  So, here I am unable to drive, lift anything more than 10lbs, walk around the block by myself or really do anything adults need to do to function.  It's been frustrating.  As my clients know, I have very little sympathy for people who complain but are unwilling to do anything to help themselves.  So, here is my list of things that I am doing to help myself through this process (they are not listed in any particular order, I believe they are all important).

1) Rest 
Ok, so maybe this is the most important.  As I start to feel better, laying around all day is getting more and more challenging.  I am so jacked up on prednisone (a crazy steroid that is currently helping to keep me alive) that I can't really concentrate on anything for too long.  I am finding a book really hard to get into because I can really only make it through 1-2 pages at a time.  I have watched an EMBARRASSING number of Survivor reruns.  I am trying to pick 1-2 small tasks that I can do each day to try and break it up.

2) Talk About It
Having this blog and the social media that goes along with it has been a HUGE support system and outlet for me.  I wanted to share my experience so people could see how crazy this whole process is and the fact that it doesn't end once you get the kidney! I've received amazing support from other kidney patients, friends, family and strangers.  Talking about it is so important. You can't just keep it all bottled up.

3) Meditate
I am meditating DAILY.  Whether its for 5 minutes in the waiting room at clinic so I don't kill the humming lady beside me, or sitting down with an app on my phone for 20 minutes I am making the time to sit and find a bit of stillness in my mind.  This does not come naturally to me.  It's hard, but I'm noticing it is getting easier as I continue with it.  

4) Eat Well & Include Supplements
Food is fuel.  It's so nice to have my appetite back and I'm enjoying eating vegetables and protein again.  It feels good knowing I am helping my body recover by giving it the nutrients it needs.  I'm also including (doctor approved) supplements to help support my body: probiotic (A LOT since I'm taking some crazy antibiotics to match the crazy anti-rejection drugs I'm on), B complex, Vitamin D (in the form of drops), and Zinc.  

5) Maintain a Routine
I think it's important to still get up in the morning, wash my face, brush my teeth and have some sort of routine for meals.  It just keeps you on track so you don't get completely lost in the stay in bed all day mode.  

6) Find Joy in the Little Things
I realize this may start to sound like a self-help book, but honestly you have to take the time to find happiness in the little things.  This year I decorated for Christmas a little early because twinkle lights make me happy.  Being able to sit down and enjoy a hot breakfast makes me happy.  Setting up my diffuser with whatever oil has caught my eye that day makes me happy.  They don't have to be big, but you have to make them count.  

No comments:

Post a Comment