"I am stronger than depression and braver than loneliness and nothing will ever exhaust me".
-Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love)

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Side Effects


I am feeling much, MUCH better after my nephrologist changed a bunch of my meds around on Wednesday.  My blood pressure was 121/69, which would be pretty darn close to perfect if that wasn't with several medications that were causing the fogginess and overall blah feeling from my last post (I believe some of that blah was a combination of meds, vaccines, exhaustion, etc.).  I am still battling with very little appetite and some nausea but "knock on wood" haven't actually vomited since the med change.  All of my other numbers have started to really reflect my failing kidney (I knew that going into clinic - I can certainly feel my body struggling).  My nephrologist wants to see me again next month (instead of every three months) to check in on the changes to my meds and we will be keeping a close eye on everything to make sure October is soon enough to start dialysis.  I will be getting my fistula in July but it takes time to become useable, so we would be looking at October to start dialysis.  If I need dialysis before October I will get a catheter put in temporarily until the fistula becomes useable.  There is also the risk that the fistula won't take, fingers crossed this doesn't happen, but if it does, I will certainly need a temporary catheter until we can make the fistula work.

Overall, it was a good clinic visit and I am very excited to be feeling more like myself.  It has been incredibly helpful to have some summer weather (although, I learned the hard way that one of the side effects from some of my meds is I am more vulnerable to sun exposure - I am rather lobster like after spending the afternoon in the sun).  My health always improves slightly in the summer and I am SUPER excited to have some room to grow a bit of a garden this year; it will be a nice little project over the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment